Friday, July 15, 2011

A Dog & A Doctor

This past Friday we 3 Whit women went out for the first time. Together. On purpose. Our fabulous adventure destination? 100 Oaks for Ava Gray's first doctors appointment. She did well, as did Havyn, but it was a hilarious few hours... and I have videos to prove it. (Not all are appropriate to post here, but believe me, it was a hoot!)

One of the highlights was an enormous white dog named Louie we found wandering the halls, looking for children to sit with (accompanied by his owner, of course).

See here:
So what this picture fails to capture is Louie's...hugeness. He's a  Grand Pyrenees (I know it's probably pretty common, but I'd never heard of that breed before). He was so gentle with all the little kids who came up to grab his neck, throw themselves on his tummy, and entangle their fingers in his long fur. He truly was grand!  
I really wanted to know what the girls would think of Louie, but their first canine encounter was surprisingly anticlimactic. Havyn slept through the whole thing & Ava Gray ignored Louie entirely in favor of her paci. (Kids these days!) : )  Oh well, KP & I tried to pretend that Havyn was interacting with him, but our pictures show...well this: a sleeping baby being held up next to a giant white dog. Still, they're both pretty cool in my book!
Proof that KP & I don't know when to give up. "Look, she's walking on him!" I'm sure passer-by's thought we were nuts. P.S I'm fine with that.

I got to talk to Louie's owner. She & Louie volunteer at Vanderbilt (100 Oaks & Children's Hospital) to visit with sick kids. I got to see first-hand how much it means to some of those kiddos. One girl in particular (named Pat) had the most adorable coke-bottle glasses & couldn't stand on her own or hold her head up straight, but as soon as she saw Louie (and buried her face in his fur), she just lit up. It was precious. Such a fun treat for us. God bless Louie and his sweet owner... They're the coolest volunteers ever.



No comments:

Post a Comment